Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Useful Stuff I Learned Working Minimum Wage Jobs

Recent events at work have led to alot of illuminating discussions, especially about job experience and roles. In one conversation it came up that many of us are on "down time" at the moment, meaning we don't have much to do. One person asked if another would clean toilets if it meant they could keep their job or not. His 20-year-old reply was a knee jerk-"Oh god no!" But the other, more older employee said, that he would, if it made the difference between being employed or not, he would. The 20 year old would not, he would rather be unemployed that do work that he deemed beneath his education and experience. Its this elitist thinking that frustrates me with the younger generation. My brother would be included in this group. He's often looked down on job opportunities, even when he doesn't have something else to fall back on. He would rather be unemployed than work minimum wage. Why? Because he can always run back home to our mother and/or father. I see the same thing happen with other younger people. I didn't see this "safety net" of going back home as an option. To me, that was failure. It meant I couldn't hack it on my own. So, I've worked up to 3 jobs at any one time to make sure I can support myself (and now my husband and daughter too). I couldn't wait to be independent, living on my own, making my own way in the world. I've worked in retail, fast food, grocery stores, tobacco shops, theaters, call centers, serving samples and I've even been a gift wrapper at Christmas. I made sure I had a degree I could base a career from when I graduated from university. I've always made sure I had a new job when the last one was finished. And from those minimum wage jobs that my brother (and others) would turn up their nose at, I've learned alot of pretty freaking useful stuff. 1. It pays to be nice. Even when a customer is really, really rude and calls you stupid in front of other people. If you stay nice and calm they are the ones who look stupid. 2. In retail and fast food, the customer is always right, even when they aren't. So just understand that and you'll have fewer problems with your customers and your boss. 3. In a commission situation, even best friends will turn into bitter enemies for a sale. I've seen it and it isn't pretty. Be warned. 4. Reading people. Work with the public enough and you can tell pretty quickly when someone is in a "mood" or not. This helps alot when working on a team. 5. Taking an insult with grace. I was once told I have little chubby fingers by a customer, and that's why I was so good at wrapping. While I think she was trying to be half-nice it certainly wasn't to me. Learning the 'perma-smile' helps in these situations. For the record, my fingers might be small but they aren't chubby. 6. Doing more than just your job. Yes, you might be hired to make sandwiches, but if the trash needs to be taken out or a toilet scrubbed make sure you ready and willing to help, or you might find yourself unemployed when the new guy shows up and does it without whining. I write curriculum, but if I see coffee cups and napkins on the conference table after a meeting I clean it up, why should I make someone else clean up after me? All in all, minimum wage jobs gave me the small tools I need every day. Those tools are the things schools don't teach you, only life experience does.

No comments:

Post a Comment