Thursday, October 23, 2014

True North, Strong and Free

Today is day one. Day one of a different country, according to our Prime Minister. One where we are now marked by the same tragedies as our neighbors to the south. Yesterday was scary and maddening. How dare a person shoot members of our military. And its not like we can point fingers to another country, both terrorists were home-grown, born and raised as Canadians, and yet they went out and killed those who defend the very freedoms they enjoyed. As I sat in my little cubicle I could overhear my cube-mate talking with someone in Ottawa yesterday. They were scared and forced to sit in their offices while police roamed looking for more terrorists (there were none). I can't imagine what that would have felt like. When I saw one of the MPs had tweeted that she just wanted to get to her daughter in daycare, I could see myself feeling the same way. In fact, when they secured all of the military personnel in my office I was thankful I could leave and went straight to my daughter and gave her a big hug. Thankful I could. Today I walked around in my office and saw all of the military personnel are wearing civilian clothes. Not taking any chances, their superiors have asked they not wear any military-type clothing so they wouldn't be targets. Here, over 1500 miles from where the shooting happened, it affects us. Part of me gets it (of course) but another part of me is angry that they have to take such measures just to go to work. I'm angry at the now dead terrorists and anyone who might think about following in their footsteps. I think we as Canadians need to show the world more than ever that we are resilient and will not stick our heads in the sand when terrorism happens. We will rise up and celebrate the democracy that our grandfathers fought and died for and those members today protect.

No comments:

Post a Comment